Save lives by registering appliances urges MSP

Highlands and Islands MSP Donald Cameron is urging his constituents to register their electrical appliances.

Mr Cameron said: “Around three quarters of fires in Scottish homes are caused by electrical faults.  Many of these incidents are caused by faulty appliances which were later recalled but, unfortunately, as most weren’t registered the owners won’t have received the recall notice."

“That’s why I’m supporting the “Do It now” campaign of charity Electrical Safety First  and am urging my constituents to register their electrical appliances. To find out more please check out their website - www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk – and follow the advice in the guide. It really could save lives.”

The guide is supported by the Scottish Fire and Rescue Services (SFRS), as David Dourley, its Head of Fire Investigation explains: “We are regularly involved in fires, some of them fatal, which have been caused by faulty electrical appliances.  So we’re urging people to protect themselves from these risks by always registering their products.”

 

Since 2007, some 559 recall notices have been issued for electrical products, yet Electrical Safety First’s research found that only 21% of Scots always register their electrical goods.